Total Pageviews

Currently Reading...

Currently Reading...
Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Girl, Stolen by April Henry

Pages: 213
Genre: Suspense, Realistic Fiction
Rating: 3/5


Summary
Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?


My Thoughts
I was quite impressed with the research the author must have done for this novel. I believe that the research was mainly based on people who are blind and car theft.

The story began with a fast-paced opening and it just gripped me. I didn’t want to look up from the page to save my life. However, as I read further into the story, the pace died down quite fast and I found I was losing my interest. There were some parts in the story that seemed drawn out and not related to the main picture. I thought that it was silly that Cheyenne was constantly stressing about how she might die if she didn’t get her medication, but really it was like she had the flu.

Girl, Stolen went back and for the between Cheyenne and Griffin’s perspectives. I love books when they do that. I feel it gives you better insight to your main characters and really brings the book to life.

I enjoyed reading about how Cheyenne adapted to the new fact that her eye sight was gone and may never come back. I marveled over how she would fold her bills in certain ways so she would know how much money she had and how she struggled with her walking stick and eventually had to snap at people for asking to pet her seeing-eye-dog. “He’s working!” she would say, not wanting to sound uptight, but people just didn’t get it through their thick heads. Cheyenne has learned not to be picky about her food and eats whatever ends up on her fork. This fact shocked me because there are so many things that I am picky about. If I became blind like Cheyenne I don’t think I would ever have found myself eating whatever ended up on plate. Another thing that struck me was the she wouldn’t be able to read on her own…ever. Reading is something I do quite often and when I listen to something being read to me I find it’s just not the same as reading it myself.

Griffin’s age is not mentioned in the story, but I’m assuming he’s between the ages of fifteen and seventeen. He’s the one who accidentally kidnaps Cheyenne. He plays the “nice bad guy” in the story which I wasn’t so sure if I liked. Griffin was trying to befriend Cheyenne, which I thought was kind of nice but then when I got the feeling that the author became to insinuate that Griffin was developing a crush on Cheyenne I was like “what the hell?” “No,” and “that’s weird.”

Over all, I did enjoy the book, but it’s not something I loved. The story line was awesome, the information I learned was cool but the book just didn’t seem like it was pulled together right. It seemed odd and not as realistic as it should have been. It just didn’t meet its potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment