Thursday, January 5, 2012
Fat Vampire by Adam Rex
Rating: 2/5 (It was okay)
Genre: Supernatural, Humour
Summary (from book)
Doug Lee is undead quuite by accident--attacked by a desperate vampire, he finds himself being cursed with being fat and fifteen forever. When he has no luck finding some goth chick with a vampire fetish, he resorts to sucking the blood of cows under cover of the night. But it's just not the same.
Then he meets the new Indian exchage student and falls for her--hard. Yeah, he wants to bite her, but he also wants to prove himself to her. But like the laws of life, love and high school, the laws of vampire existence are complicated--it's not as easy as studying Dracula. Especially when the star of Vampire Hunters is hot on your trail in an attempt to boost ratings....
Searing, hilarious, and always expected, Fat Vampire is a satircal tour de force from one of the most original writers of fiction today.
1. I really love the cover of this book. It's unique and creative and very eye-catching.
2. The summary and reviews on the back of the book were convincingly funny and appealing.
3. It had some parts that did make me laugh-out-loud and I was genuinely interested in Doug's conflicting situation. And a good start in the plot.
4. Jay is my favourite character. Although he was a bit cliche character-wise, I still enjoyed his company.
1. The book went bad after the first sixty or so pages. The interest rate really dropped for me and the book started focusing on diffrent things. I really wished it would have focused more on the main character instead it begins to more greatly focus on Segal and I'm left wondering isn't this supposed to be about Doug and his fatness, his thirst for blood and issues with girls?
2. I began to feel very disconnected with the characters and I didn't feel attached the them or the story at all.
3. The stroy began to throw in all this random stuff about a vampire hunter TV show and a vampire mentoring program among other things. And I'm sitting there wondering where did all this come from? What happened to Doug being fat and drinking from cows?
4. I wasn't too crazy about the ending. It didn't leave me feeling satisified. The book in all didn't do it for me really.
Overall, the book was unique, much different from anything I've read. It was funny, which I liked, however, the story just didn't satisfy me.