Total Pageviews

Currently Reading...

Currently Reading...
Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Not That Kind Of Girl
Pages: 322
Genre: Real-life, Romance
Rating: 3/5

Summary

Natalie Sterling wants to be in control. She wants her friends to be loyal. She wants her classmates to elect her student council president. She wants to find the right guy, not the usual jerk her school has to offer. She wants a good reputation, because she believes that will lead to good things.
But life is messy, and it's very hard to be in control of it. Not when there are freshman girls running around in a pack, trying to get senior guys to sleep with them. Not when your friends have secrets they're no longer comfortable sharing. Not when the boy you once dismissed ends up being the boy you want to sleep with yourself - but only in secret, with nobody ever finding out.
Slut or saint? Winner or loser? Natalie is getting tired of these forced choices - and is now going to find a way to live life in the sometimes messy, sometimes wonderful in-between.



My Thoughts

For those that would enjoy this, I think you would be in age range of 13-17. It wasn’t a challenging read for me. I did enjoy it, but just not as much as I would have hoped for. When I first began the book and then got halfway through I felt a little mislead because she was having issues with Mike and then you barely ever hear about him again...instead the story starts to focus on a different guy...  won’t say anymore because I don’t want to spoil anything.

Natalie, the main character, is NOT stupid. She’s actually smart, she knows how to get a situation under control and she can handle high-levels of stress quite well. I respect her for her integrity and her ability to be nice and caring to others. I respect her for trying to do the right thing, and giving others second chances. I think I’d friend her on Facebook...if she was a real person.

The story spoke volumes about sex and other pressures for a teenager. But it also expressed how we’re all looking for ourselves and who we want to be. I can guarantee the ending is not disappointing at all, it’s simply satisfying and I felt that I’d learned something valuable. That’s how books should leave you.

Overall, it was good. I would definitely recommend it, because it’s certainly worth the read. However, I think it could have been amazing with a few tweaks and characters with a bit more depth, I didn’t feel like I got to know everyone enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment