Total Pageviews

Currently Reading...

Currently Reading...
Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Evermore by Alyson Noel


Genre: Fantasy, Romance,
Rating: 3/5
Pages: 301

Summary
Sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom is left alone after a horrible accident that claims the lives of her family. Since then, she can see people’s auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone’s entire life story just by touching them. She now spends her life, going out of her way to retain her abilities and avoid human contact, and for those reasons the students at her new high school have branded her a freak.
Little does she know that it will all end soon, because when she meets the gorgeous, exotic and wealthy Damon Auguste her abilities temporarily vanish and as mysterious as he is to her, the only thing she knows for sure is that she’s falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.

Why Read It?

Evermore is an enjoyable, sometimes dark story about a girl with extraordinary psychic powers. The story gives you a suggestion of what it might be like being psychic. If you’re craving a twisted, creative and magical love story this will hit the spot!

My Thoughts

Evermore was one of those books where you’ll buy it because you feel like you won’t be disappointed. It was weird at times and impressive and I was totally right about going ahead and buying it. However, even though I have that craving to read it again, I might not.
I loved the way this book was written, it was very easy to read which made it a nice break from my normal level of reading. I am a sucker for love stories, especially ones like this and I plan on reading the rest of the series.
Damon is definitely not my type of guy, even though he’s “gorgeous, exotic and wealthy”. I think it was the way he was described in the book that turned me off and the fact that he’s a little too exotic for me.
I sort of connected with Ever, but in truth it was really difficult to see things her way. And there were times when I completely disagreed with her choices. One of the things among others that I understood about her was hiding her beautiful self, listening to really loud music and avoiding people. She’s got these abilities that she doesn’t know how to control and she’s forced to hide herself away from the rest of the world. I felt horrible for her and I wanted to do nothing but help.
Something else that bothered me about this story was the beliefs. The part about being reincarnated just made me feel really restless. This is what a lot of the story line leaned against, so if you don’t agree with reincarnation I wouldn’t suggest this book to you. However, I am a very open minded person and I think without this main ingredient the book wouldn’t have been anywhere near the same or as interesting without it.
A part that I was totally mesmerized by was when she turned to alcohol to make things better for her. It dulled her abilities and made her feel good. I think it’s a part of the book that would make anyone who has not tried alcohol before curious about it and something to just really think about. If you think like me, you’ll probably see that there are other ways to deal with things without the abuse of alcohol or drugs. I don’t think it was the Alyson Noel’s intention to say that there are other ways to deal with things because it’s a small hint that I don’t think many people would pick up. (You’ll know more about what I mean once you’ve read the book and you can leave a comment if you want to discuss it).
All in all, even though I thought the book was strange, I was able to relax and just simply enjoy this unthinkable story.

No comments:

Post a Comment