Total Pageviews

Currently Reading...

Currently Reading...
Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Rating: 3/5
Pages: 375

"I was used to this weird experience, but usually they were over quickly. This twenty-four/seven hallucination was more than I could handle.” -Percy Jackosn

Summary

Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is troubled with his ADHD, dyslexia and high school, but that becomes the least of his problems when he learns that he is the son of Poseidon, Greek god of the sea, which means he is a demigod (half-human, half –god). And that’s not all! The Greek gods are on the verge of war because Zeus’s lightning bolt has been stolen and Poseidon is being blamed for theft.
Percy travels to Camp Half Blood, which is a training ground for demigods where he meets Annabeth, daughter of Athena and Grover who he already knows but learns that he is his protector and a satyr. Grover and Annabeth accompany Percy on his quest to set things straight with the gods, such as facing challenges, monsters and a visit to the underworld.

Why Read It?

The Lightning Thief is full of adventure and will leave you wishing there was more. Lucky for you this is just the beginning of the series!
If you love books that are full of thrills and adventure you’ll fall head over heels for this! With action happening constantly barely a page apart you won’t to stop reading.
This is definitely a treat for Harry Potter fans, young boys and even girls.

My Thoughts

Well, I know there’s a movie. Of course, they say; “The movies are never as god as the book.” However, I beg to differ in this situation. I can’t really say why other than the fact that he was older and I think that helped, and the story line was changed a bit and I preferred it over the one in the book. The book was great, though. I didn’t want to put it down when I was reading it and I have rated it a four. It didn’t reach a five, for me, because I don’t know if I would read it over and over.
I don't think this book’s genre can be also placed under humour, but it does have quite a bit in there. If you pick this book up and you aren’t so sure about it just take a peek at the chapter titles that should pull your interest. My favourite chapters and titles were: I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre –algebra Teacher, I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom and, We Take a Zebra to Vegas.I have always loved Greece ever since I learned about it in grade seven. I really enjoyed learning about all of their beliefs and Greek mythology and I just thought it was the most fascinating thing. The best thing about The Lighting Thief is it’s just packed with all these myths and monsters and Gods. The story just left me wishing I knew more about Greece. So I did some research on Greek mythology, especially Medusa, for some reason she just captivates my interest.
The characters in this book are very interesting. I really like Annabeth. She’s very headstrong and I admire that about her. Grove, the satyr, well he’s got a great sense of humour which makes him such a loveable character. And finally the main character, Percy, you know, the guy with dyslexia and ADHD, is just a classic character. He’s intelligent and mature for his age and I just wish I knew a kid like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment